A dental implant is often an ideal option for replacing one or more missing teeth. A dental implant is a titanium screw that is inserted into the jawbone. After placement it will integrate with your jawbone to act as an artificial tooth root. The implant may require from 2 to 6 months to integrate before it is able to be restored by your dentist with its final crown. During this healing period, a temporary tooth replacement option can be worn over the implant site if desired.
There are several advantages to placing a dental implant over other tooth replacement alternatives. These advantages include:
- They can look and function like a normal tooth, being able to withstand much greater biting pressures than a denture
- They can replace a single tooth without sacrificing healthy tooth structure from neighbouring teeth as may be required in the construction of a bridge.
- They provide a greater level of comfort than alternative treatments, usually feeling indistinguishable from the natural dentition.
- Ease of cleaning and maintenance
- Preservation of bone levels. Dental implants integrate with the jawbone and this helps to preserve the bone height. The bone under a bridge or denture may resorb with time.
If you are missing a tooth or several teeth and would like to replace them, dental implants may be an option for you. Our dentists will be more than happy to discuss with you options and assess your mouth for suitability. In order for an implant to be placed, it is important that your gums and jawbone are healthy and able to support the implant. If your oral health is not yet at this level, we will be happy to work with you towards achieving your goal.
Implants can be aesthetically pleasing, greatly improve functioning and could truly change your life.